Nova Scotia Solid Waste Regulations Review
Nova Scotia, Canada, is now consulting on proposed changes to the provincial solid waste regulations, including the potential for product stewardship / extended producer responsibility across a broad range of items. The consultation period is open until 11 July, 2014.
Seven key areas have been identified for potential amendment and are highlighted in the discussion paper, Revising Our Path Forward: A public discussion paper about solid waste regulation in Nova Scotia, including:
- Product stewardship
- Disposal bans and approval requirements
- Used tire management program
- Removal of the requirement for regional solid waste management plans
- Clarity on the rules for energy from waste
- Improve the enforceability of the solid waste regulation
- Beverage container deposit-refund program
Written comments are encouraged and can be made online here. Questions or inquiries can be directed to the Solid Waste Unit, Nova Scotia Environment on +1 902 424-4300.